Tuesday 20 March 2007

Polenta with (tasty) grilled & roasted vegetables



I don't make this as often as I should (but my Mum made it last week and it was good!!).....
I slow roasted some tomatoes in the oven (with salt, pepper and italian herbs) for about 2.5hrs and they shrivelled and shrank to this:



Polenta's really easy to make - get about a litre of veggie stock & add 1 generous cup of polenta (you'll find it in the health food section of the supermarket) and stir like crazy for five minutes. (Watch out - it really burns if it splashes on you). Pour out into a greased container & chill until set (I stuck it on two esky bricks for about 20 mins and it was done). Brush with olive oil & stick on the grill or in a saucepan. The outside will be crunchy when done.

I added grilled eggplant, mushrooms, zucchini and skinned capsicum (you know the drill - blacken, stick in a plastic bag for 5 min & then de-skin the kerjigger).

I like to serve with some balsamic vinegar dressing - here in Oz the Paul Newman low-fat balsamic dressing is vegan.....

The polenta is so tasty that I have to stop myself (and my boyfriend) from eating all the polenta before it's grilled!!!

No comments: