Thursday 24 May 2007

Cam's brilliant - so we went out to dinner!

Cam got his GAMSAT results on Tuesday (it's like the MCAT in the US - a medical entrance exam) and he got in the top 7%!!!!! We were very excited about this news, so we decided to go out to our favourite asian vegetarian place - Magic Wok!

Here are the evening's tasty goods (forgive the crappy photos, we were attempting to be discreet - didn't really work):

Turnip cake - it's nothing like cake, but it is deep fried turnipy goodness:
Turnip cake

Drumsticks - I really don't like dissing food from this place, but these weren't very nice - they'd been cooked previously and were cold - which I'm guessing is what they were trying to achieve - it just didn't work for me. It was served with a REALLY good plum sauce though!
Drumsticks

BBQ Pork Buns - we get these EVERY time we go to Magic Wok (and when it was Leader Bowl). These are without a doubt the best buns in the entire universe. When we first had them I was still omni, and Cam freaked out because they taste so authentic. We always get two each.... Isn't the veggie flower in the middle gorgeous?
BBQ Pork Buns

Alrighty, onto mains.

I had sweet and sour pork - oh my god it was so good! I had the leftovers for lunch.... Oh yeah, so greasy & tasty. The look of this one fooled a few omnis that I work with.
Sweet & Sour Pork

Cam had Lamb Rendang - they said it was spicy, but as always, Cam has the stomach of a crazy person (he likes hot food):
Lamb Rendang


If you're ever in Brisbane you HAVE to go to this restaurant. It is insanely good. We always over order on the entrees, so we can have leftover mains for lunch or breakfast the same day....

Now all we have to do is cross our fingers that Cam gets an interview for Medicine at UQ.... Everyone has to cross their fingers until September.... :)

2 comments:

Theresa said...

Congrats to Cam! If I go to Brisbane, I'll definitely check that place out--it looks super good!

How does the med program work at UQ? Here at JCU, it's a 5 year program and you're a doctor afterwards! It's so different to the US, where you go to uni for, like, 10 years or something before you are a doctor.

Amy said...

It's a four year graduate programme & afterwards he needs to do like four more years (internship, residency, fellowship & registrar years - I hope I got the order right).

Definitely checkout Magic Wok - food is AMAZING.

Cam wanted me to say that he loved the drumsticks (seeing as I dissed them so much)....