Sunday 1 April 2007

Sweet Potato & Pumpkin Soup, with Assorted Focaccias


With the change of seasons (and my flu/cold this week) I decided that we should have some soup. Making this reminded me of growing up with my family - my mum would usually make pea & ham soup out of the Xmas ham bone (frozen for the three months prior) & we'd eat it for an entire weekend.

However, now that I'm vegan, I don't want to go killing innocent piggies for tasty soup, so I turned to another family recipe - pumpkin soup. Here's my variation on my ma's recipe:

Ingredients: Pumpkin (get the quarter pieces from the supermarket), 1 large sweet potato (I think I got gold, but I'm not really au fait with the different varieties of this vegetable), 1 (at least) bulb of garlic, olive oil, 1 tablespoon vegan margarine, 2 tablespoons corn flour, cup (or so) of soy milk, vegan chicken stock powder & salt.


How to make the thingy: Cut & roast the pumpkin, sweet potato & garlic bulb (don't peel, just drizzle with olive oil) in olive oil in the oven at around 180 degrees (Celsius) for about 45 mins to an hour. Make a roux with the marg & corn flour & add the milk to make into a white sauce/pasty looking thing. Add in the roast veggies & top up with about half a litre of water and 2 tablespoons of stock powder (go for your own taste here). I puree with a potato masher, but you can puree with a blender or something else if you want a professional finish. Simmer for about 5 minutes until thick (or however you like it). I like to add chopped basil on top to finish.

I served with two focaccias I made using the breadmaker......

Olive and Sea Salt:



Mushroom & Sun-dried Tomato:


Now all we need in Brisbane is some really cold weather & I can make more!

No comments: