Thursday 8 November 2007

69th post - mwahahahahahahaha!

Howdy! So I've been free for four days now - I'm enjoying my freedom with a Mount Gay Rum and Coke (slightly tipsy = good!). Hopefully this will be the last catch up post. I want to post more regularly for the next few months before the insanity of uni starts back up for Cam and I (that's if he gets into Medicine - fingers crossed).

Okey dokey......

On Sunday we went to another Malaysian Vegetarian Cooking lesson! 'Twas fun. We're going to play around with the recipes a bit before we post them. In the meantime:

Vegetables and Vegetarian Ham in Black Pepper SauceVeggies and Veggie-Ham in Pepper Sauce

I'm fairly "anti" pepper, but this was really mild (you toast the pepper, so I'm guessing the cooking removes some of the pepperiness?). Veggie Ham is available from Asian grocers - but apparently there is only one brand of vegan ham. We're going on a hunt soon, so we'll have pics, etc for our Aussie friends!

Veggie Cake
Veggie Cake


This one's pretty easy - the veggies are carrot, cabbage, broccoli and ginger. Yum!

Fragrant Vegetarian Goose/GeeseFragrant Vegetarian Geese

I don't remember having this dish @ ID Cafe when it was open, but dang, it's tasty! It's pretty much tofu with tofu sauce deep fried. What more could a vegan want?

I finally got the courage to try the Tempeh Wings from Don't Eat Off The Sidewalk. Boiling the tempeh to soften it up reminded me of a quote from Aqua Teen Hunger Force:

Young Carl: (flashback to when Carl was a child and received carpet as a Christmas present) Hey! Look at my magic flying carpet. I'm flying around in Egypt land! Carl's Dad: Don't get too attached there, Aladdin. Pretty soon it's gonna be magic flying dinner. Young Carl: You cant eat carpet, silly daddy. Carl's Dad: No, not like that. you gotta boil it, so the glue gets soft!

But I digress:
Tempeh Wingz and Salad

And I made doner kebabs (we normally use "chicken" nuggets or felafel, but I had tempeh to use up):
Wingz Kebabs


Yummy.

Cam found these at the supermarket:
Fry's Schnitzels


So we had them with gravy and mashed potatoes
Schnitzels and Veggies


And with silverbeet (that'd be swiss chard to non-Aussies) and baked potatoes. Potatoes are topped with Tofutti Sour Cream and Joni's Bakin Bits. Why did it take me so long to try these?
Schnitzels, Silverbeet + Baked Potatoes

I made pie on Monday for lunch (my last day of freedom). Asparagus and Mushroom with gravy. Ridiculously easy. Fry mushroom and asparagus with vegan marg. Add tsp of stock powder and about 3 tsp gravy powder. Add about 50ml of water and stir until like this:
Asparagus and Mushroom Pie Filling


Put in pastry
Asparagus and Mushroom Pie Uncooked


Bake and eat!
Asparagus and Mushroom Pie Cooked


The burgers we ate before going to see Bad Religion and Strung Out. They rocked, and so do these burgers! There's fried Sanitarium Luncheon in there - I nicknamed it fried crack!
Burgers


Lastly, this was the view from my study on Sunday arvo. Isn't it purdy?
View from my study


Okay, so I'm planning to post tomorrow or Saturday. Is anyone interested in a step by step recipe for the tastiest miso ever? Or is that just silly?

Submission Complete!

3 comments:

LizNoVeggieGirl said...

I LOVE these catch-up posts, so I hope you'll continue with them :0)

all the food looks amazing, as usual; but those veggie cakes are my favorite!!

the miso recipe sounds great - do post it!

Ruiyi said...

Hey!!! Wow, you guys have been eating well! I like the photo of the pie, it looked like a nice fluffy pillow before it was baked :o)

We should catch up, I have cocoa powder for you (although I'm not sure how well it has survived 2 months of travelling after I bought it...).

Ruiyi said...

P.S. Congrats on the thesis :D it must've felt so awesome to finally hand it in!