Sunday 1 September 2013

VeganMofo 2013: Day 1!

Print
Hi everyone!  Welcome to my attempt to do VeganMofo for an entire month (for the millionth time).  I’m aiming for about five blog posts a week.
To prepare for Mofo-ing I did a whole lotta cooking yesterday.
I soaked and cooked 1kg of black beans – turns out that makes approximately 14 cups of cooked beans.
IMG_3777IMG_3797
(12 cups of which are now in the freezer in 2 cup servings!) Beans – taste great, not so attractive sitting in the pressure cooker.
I also made a whole lot of sofrito using Terry’s recipe from Viva Vegan – we eat a LOT of burritos, etc (I’d call it Mexican, but I’m sure that it’s not very authentic).  That also went into the freezer in 1cup servings.  I spent a good 30 minutes chopping up onions!  Luckily no one was home to see how teary I got.
So, the first dinner of Mofo was Burritos!  And seeing as this meal was going to be my first Mofo2013 post, I thought I’d make some exciting extras: a fresh salsa and pickled red onions (the pickled red onion recipe is from Viva Vegan – OMG, so freaking good.  I frequently eat them out of the container). 
IMG_3773IMG_3779
Pickled onions before and after.  Hot pink and so so good.
You can spy my salsa in the second pic.  It’s a variation on my usual bruschetta recipe: 3 tomatoes, 1 small red onion, juice of half a lime, 1 large handful of coriander, about 3tsp salt.  Chop up and mix together – it’ll be ready to eat after about 20 mins of sitting.  The juice is so salty but soooooo amazing.
IMG_3782
Yum. 
The bean filling was:
  • 1 cup or so of sofrito (basically whatever I had left after freezing the rest)
  • 2 cups of black beans
  • 1 tsp of smoked paprika, garlic powder, oregano, cumin
  • 1 tsp salt
  • 5 drops of liquid smoke
  • 1 chipotle in adobo (it was the last of the tin, so I just added the 3T of adobo that was left to the mix)
  • 1 red capsicum, chopped into 1cm square pieces (or so)
  • 5 mushrooms, sliced
  • 1 tsp hot sauce
  • juice of half a lime
Heat up a deep frypan on the stove.  Cook up the sofrito.  Add the capsicum and mushroom and cook for about 3-4 minutes on high. 
Add in your beans (I used the measuring cup straight from the pressure cooker, so there was a fairly large amount of the cooking liquid in there). 
Lower the heat to medium and add in your spices, the chilli, liquid smoke and hot sauce.  Cook for about 15mins.  The mixture will want to stick to the bottom of the pan.  Don’t be too rough – you want some whole beans in there!
Once the liquid’s reduced, squeeze your lime juice in.  Turn it off and stuff your burrito. 
I tend to put about half a cup of beans on the bottom, then a large amount of pickled onions (or however much you like), and then top it off with salsa.  I frequently add Tofutti Better Than Cream Cheese, but we’re out :(
Nom
So that’s my go to recipe for burritos.  What’s your favourite recipe for burritos or tacos?
Tomorrow: Mac and Cheeze Monday!

8 comments:

x said...

Happy VeganMoFo, Amy! I love how prepared you are with the beans and sofrito, I should cook up a big batch and freeze some, too!

Amy said...

Thanks Mandee! I tend to do large sofrito batches 'cause it's easier.

Anonymous said...

Happy VeganMoFo :)

Anonymous said...

Happy VeganMoFo :)

Mel said...

Wow, that's an impressive bean cookup! I usually buy 1kg bags and only cook a third at a time which is heaps. Thanks for reminding me of that sofrito recipe - I love it and must make it again soon!

Susan said...

Yay! First MoFo post in my feed. :)

Amy said...

Thanks guys. I LOVE COMMENTS!

Johanna GGG said...

Goodness all the things you could do with 14 cups of black beans - excellent preparation and I love tacos - lately I have loved them with mexican rice and kale and tomatoes and a cheeze sauce but I am always on the look out for new ideas